Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Work

Work, work, work.  Really it's not that bad.  If you're not doing something you love do something about it.  Really, it is that simple.  I heard or read this saying - if you have time to complain about it, you have time to do something about it.  Okay, so dream within the realm of possibility.  I know that's a damper, but don't dream of something all the while thinking that it's impossible.  Those thoughts immediately negate the dreams that way.  You can't dream of being an astronaut if you're not willing to do the work that goes with said dream
No one LOVES doing laundry, dishes, changing diapers and hunting down missing socks.  It's my job though and so I do love it in my own way.  I didn't dream of it when I was growing up, those were the owning a zoo days.  How can I love it then?  Easy, God gave me a husband (pretty easy being married to him - most days) and five delightful kiddos, He has given me so much, how can I not enjoy it.  Not everyone has these things, some people get gifts like these only for a short time.  So I will enjoy the loads of laundry, sinkful of dishes, Sharpie drawings on the walls, grocery lists, sleepless nights and muddy messes.
I think along these lines alot lately.  My parents are in the middle of a divorce, middle because it's been almost a year since they decided to take that route and there is no end in sight.  I watched them live for years looking over the fence and wondering why others had so much and we had so little.  Amazingly I didn't think they had so little.  They had a house over their head, vehicles to drive, jobs to go to, family to connect with - if and when they wanted to, hobbies and it seemed that if they wanted something they simply went and bought it.  In a way it was always obvious they didn't have what they wanted.  They didn't have appreciation or gratitude for what was.  My brother and I both knew from a very early age that we were mistakes.  Mistakes, not surprises, MISTAKES.  My dad was always quite willing to tell us this fact and make sure we were completely aware of what he sacrificed for us.  Drinking or not, he was an unhappy man that couldn't accept responsibility for living his life.  My mom was just willing to let it be and remain at status quo, probably safer that way.  Having the ability to complain about life and what it hands you is something all of us have.  We all also have the ability to accept responsibility of this life and do with it whatever we want.
At some point in life the sentence - you can be whatever you want to be - is the simple truth.  Yes, if you're told you're worthless and you'll never be anything but trouble, you could possibly end up that way.  Just remember these are the decisions you're making.  No one forces you to drop out of school, sleep with your boyfriend and get pregnant, break into the grocery store just the same as no one can force you to get straight A's, attend college and start your own business.  These things are all choices you make for yourself.  I can tell you that when someone is tearing you down to build themselves up it's far more satisfying to prove them wrong than to prove them right.

Work by definition is activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.  So no matter what you're doing typing, video games, getting a soda from the fridge, eating your favorite candy, driving, really anything you do at all, is work.  Sometimes we call it playing, hunting, relaxing, socializing and looking at it from that point of view it's all about perspective.  God gives us the freedom to choose.  He tells us His expectations and yet gives us the freedom to live our lives exactly as we choose.
Life is work, work is life.  Enjoy it, work or life, whatever you want to call it.  Find a way to enjoy it.  Do what you love, love what you do.  If you can't go to bed happy for the day you had and wake up happy for the day ahead of you, do some work to change it.  Don't settle for status quo if you don't want it.  Dream of the possibilities, focus on the greats in your life and let your world revolve around that.  The hows will come together once you're dreaming of what it really is you want.  Dreams do come true, sometimes they just take a little work too.  Can't win the jackpot if you don't buy the ticket.
Ahh, dream home, job and salary.  I know you're out there waiting for me, I'm on my way.  Just keep in mind I have a dream home (the first one we bought for our family), job (wife, mom, friend and faithful servant) and salary (hugz, kisses and grace) so I guess I've already got it made!

No comments:

Post a Comment